History
The emergence of the Roer triangle, the German bridgehead between Maas and Roer river in 1944-1945. After the breakout from Normandy the Allied advance went very fast.
Paris was liberated on August 24, 1944 and Maastricht by the American 30th Infantry Division on 14 september 1944. Among other things, by the lack of supplies the front came a halt in South Limburg late september 1944 between Nieuwstadt and Susteren at the Vloedgraaf. The Vloedgraaf became the front line.

After the liberation of South Limburg in september 1944, the Americans advanced to the east in the direction of Aachen and the Westwall (also known as the Siegfried line) and fought some bloody battles in the Huertgen forest. The US 102nd Infantry Division managed to reach the Roer at Linnich and eventually the British 43rd Wessex Division came a few kilometers north from Geilenkirchen to a halt. Since the Germans still occupied the Roer dams in the German Eifel, the Allies couldn't cross the Roer rivier. 

On 22 november 1944 the British had also the last Germans on the west side of the Maas at Roermond dislodged and on 3 december, the bridgehead at Blerick cleaned up and the front line ran along the rivers Meuse and Roer. The Roer triangle, the German bridgehead between Roermond-Maaseik-Geilenkirchten, was now even if only in the way for a further advance in the Rhineland.

Contact Details

  • The Roerdriehoek museum
  • Dijkstraat 5 6065 AT, Montfort
  • The Netherlands
  • +316-15691733
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • We are open every first Sunday of the month
    from 10 am - 5 pm!